Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Bienvenido Mexico City!

I should start off thanking my Stake President for a wonderful blessing when I was set apart as a missionary last night. I also received some great advice from my family, my bishop, and the Stake President. I was promised health and a love for missionary work and the people of Nicaragua. Afterwards, I went home and finished packing until it was time to leave for the airport.

Arriving at the Salt Lake City Airport, Tuesday, 10:50 PM.

My flight was scheduled to depart for Atlanta at 12:56 AM early Wednesday morning, so we left for the airport about 10:30 PM Tuesday night. When we arrived, it was a relief to see other missionaries already there saying goodbye to their families. In fact, there were three other missionaries all going to the Nicaragua Managua South Mission just like me -- Elders Hansen, Jensen, and Hoffman. There was also another missionary going to the Mexico City MTC with us, but he was called to serve in the Denver Colorado Mission.

We spent an hour visiting with the other missionaries and their families, and then it was time to say goodbye to my family. Everyone was crying at one point or another.
Elders Hansen, Jensen, Hoffman, and me all headed for
Managua Nicaragua South via the Mexico City MTC.

Me and my family at the airport.
We flew on Delta Airlines, and it was sweet because we got a snack and beverage, and all of the seats had a touch screen computer that I could play games on. There was a lady sitting next to me who also asked me a lot of questions and talked to me quite a bit throughout the flight. The pilot was also awesome because when we landed, he announced over the intercom that everyone on the flight needed to go to the international terminal to catch their next flight, so he dropped us all off at the international terminal. As a result, it was a 2-minute walk to find our next gate, and none of the workers were even there yet (nor was our next airplane).

With all of that extra time, me and a couple of my travel companions hit the McDonald's for our last meal on American soil for a while. Can I just say I have never seen so many African American people in my life than I did in Atlanta? I guess I have never been farther east than Moab, Utah, so my educational experience has already begun.

Once we landed in Mexico City, it became quite clear that we arrived in the middle of their hurricane season as it was raining hard. On our drive to the MTC it seemed more like a boat ride because a lot of the streets were so flooded. 
My little brother and sister were a little sad to see me go.
They tried to keep me from leaving, but
it didn't work.
The Mexico City MTC is big and its already a lot to take in. The good news is that as soon as we pulled onto the campus, I saw my friend Jordan Gustavus walking with his companion, but he was a ways away. I'm sure I'll see more of him later.

Me and my mom.
Well, they let me send this quick email to let everyone know I made it OK, but I'm out of time. I'll write again on P-Day, which I think they said is Tuesdays here. Sure love my family and friends, and thank you to everyone who has made it possible for me to be here, or perhaps I should say "Gracias."
On my way through security.

No comments:

Post a Comment